Monday, March 10, 2008

importance of evaluation / quality


Week 3 already - where has time gone??? Am finding that I'm already trying to do more things online - just set up a discussion forum today for a training exercise that I'm working on - that wouldn't have happened even last week!!
I have just realised that I haven't posted my thoughts on evaluation yet, so here they are:
> Why is evaluation important to you and how do you define it?
Evaluation is really important to me as without it how do we improve on what we are doing or even know that something needs to be improved. I am not the kind of person who likes to plod along doing the same thing day in, day out and I frequently evaluate how I do things and how I can do them better. I like to have a timeline on how long the evaluation process takes and the rejigging that generally follows. In my line of work, if I don't do any evaluation on my own position, the training courses I run, etc... it would never be done, therefore in order to acheive any personal satisfaction for what I do and to ensure that I'm doing the best by the trainees, evaluation is paramount. For our transcribers/trainees if they are not evaluated regularly, even the ones who have worked with us for ages, then how will they ever progress?
Defining evaluation is not so easy - but for me, as a former teacher I probably use the format, "test, teach, test" to a certain degree in all my evaluation. MORE TO FOLLOW - HAVE TO GO AND DO SOME WORK :-)

1 comment:

Bronwyn hegarty said...

great news Lesley. it is amazing how the online stuff permeates once you get started. I like your mantra - test, teach, test. wouldn't it be so much easier to sit back and relax...while everything falls apart around us. :(